Navigating Parking Reservations at Lake Tahoe Ski Resorts
Planning your weekend ski trips in Tahoe this season looks a little different. We’ve all powered through the early wake up calls to avoid the worsening traffic throughout the years or have endured those agonizing 2-hour journeys to the resort that make you question if it’s worth all the hassle. The resorts are starting to respond to the pressure and set up programs to help offset this issue.
Like many people in our community - we have been anticipating the new parking programs and are hoping that this can truly help mitigate the traffic problem plaguing the Tahoe area on the weekends. So far - it's been easy for us to secure free spots on the weekend; it just takes a little bit more planning ahead. The ski season has been off to a slow start - so it’s still hard to say how competitive the free parking will be on those high stoke, deep powder days.
If you're planning a trip to Tahoe soon and wish to delve deeper into the details of these parking programs, rest assured, we've got you covered.
AND don’t forget to grab your CA89 Mountain Tumbler and Waffle Knit Beanie for your, hopefully, easy ride to the resort:
The reservation-based parking system at Palisades Tahoe is enforced on weekends and holiday periods. A parking reservation will be required for ALL parking lots.
- The vast majority of spots that require a reservation are FREE.
- FREE parking reservations for the coming weekend will open every Tuesday. To accommodate different life schedules, we'll release 50% inventory at 12pm and 7pm.
- For those who want to reserve well in advance, paid spots will be available for $30. For example, if you want to reserve a spot for President’s Day, you can choose a paid reservation when inventory goes live. Otherwise, you can book a free reservation on the Tuesday prior to your visit.
- They’ll continue to have dedicated carpool spots for those that are traveling with 3+ and encourage you to reserve with friends and family in advance. Reservations will still be required for the vehicle.
- Holiday dates for the 23/24 season requiring reservations are: December 23-31, January 15, February 17-25.
Reserve N Ski parking reservations for Preferred Paid lots will be required on Weekend (Saturday - Sunday) and Holiday/Peak Periods from 7am - 3pm and will be available at the start of the 2023/24 season. Reservations are NOT required during the week (Monday - Friday) outside of Holiday/Peak Periods.
- A flat fee of $20 will still be required during the week and non-peak periods, regardless of the number of passengers in the vehicle. Fee must be paid via Tap N Ski QR code available online or onsite.
- During Weekends (Saturday - Sunday) and Holiday/Peak Periods a reservation is required for parking in this lot. Reservations to park in this lot are a flat fee of $40.
Reserve N Ski parking reservations for Village View lots will be required on Weekend (Saturday - Sunday) and Holiday/Peak Periods from 7am - 12pm and will be available at the start of the 2023/24 season.
- Reservations for cars with 4+ passengers will be FREE.
- A flat fee of $20 will be required for cars with 3 or fewer passengers.
- After 12pm, all parking in this lot is free and no reservations are required.
Free Parking Options:
- Castle Peak lot will remain free every day, no reservations required.
- Village View lot will remain FREE during the week (Monday - Friday) and non-peak periods and will not require reservations.
- Village View lot reservations will be FREE for cars with 4+ at all times.
- After 12pm on Weekend and Holiday/Peak Periods, all parking in the Village View lot will be FREE and no reservations will be required.
More Info: https://www.parknorthstar.com/
RESERVE N SKI parking reservations for California Base Area parking lot will be required on Weekend and Holiday/Peak Periods (Saturdays - Sundays, holiday periods/Epic Pass Restricted Days) until 12:00pm.
- Reservations will be available online at the start of the 2023 season.
- A flat fee of $20 will be required for cars with three or fewer passengers.
- After 12:00pm, all parking in this lot will be free and no reservations will be required.
Carpool reservations will be FREE for cars with four or more occupants at all times.
- Carpool reservations are required at California Base Area on Weekend and Holiday/Peak Periods
- FREE Parking will remain on Weekend and Holiday/Peak Periods as follow:
- Nevada side of the mountain: all parking lots (Boulder + Stagecoach lots).
- California side of the mountain: free parking is available on Saddle Rd., Keller Rd., and overflow parking on Ski Run Blvd with free daily shuttle access to California Base Area.
- Parking remains the same near the gondola with options at the city parking garage and other private parking lots, as well.
More Info: https://www.parkheavenly.com/
Kirkwood Mountain Resort
This winter, Kirkwood will offer choices for guests, with a combination of both free and paid parking options on weekends (Saturday – Sunday) and on holidays/peak periods. Below are changes to our paid and carpool parking program at Kirkwood:
- The Chair 9 and Volcano lots will become carpool only(4+) lots on weekends and holidays/peak periods. These are dedicated carpool lots and as such, only vehicles with 4+ occupants will be permitted in these lots on weekends and holidays.
- Every day of the entire season, vehicles with 4+ occupants will always park for free anywhere at Kirkwood.
- Over 80% of our parking will remain free on weekends and holidays/peak periods in the Red Cliffs lots, the Timber Creek (7) lots, and parking on Kirkwood Meadows Drive and Loop Road.
- 100% of Kirkwood parking will remain free, unregulated on non-peak weekdays.
- The VIP and Village Lot will continue to be paid parking lots on weekends and holidays, while vehicles with 4+ occupants will be offered complimentary parking in these areas.